The University of Tartu Botanical Gardens was founded in 1803, onto the area of the current Tiigi st. park. There are more than 10,000 species and varieties of plants in the garden.
The mission of the garden is to teach the visitors the diversity of the flora, saving usage of plantal resources and protection.
It is the oldest botanical garden in the Baltic States, operating for more than 200 years in the same location. The garden is designed by world-renowned botanists, professors Ledebour and Bunge. Guests can visit the greenhouses with a ticket, but the garden is open for everyone for free. There is a playground for children.